The Indian media has come a long way but is yet to take on hollow leaders when they misuse their status to air patently false and mischievous views. Recently Dr. Manmohan Singh MP, former PM, FM and Governor of RBI issued a statement criticizing the Modi Government for freezing the increase in Dearness Allowance of Government Servants till June 2021. The Media should have pounced on him on his unprofessional stand. Instead they have all just meekly reported his statement.
The following questions should have been posed to Manmohan Singh:
1. Is he not himself a pensioner enjoying a pension and dearness allowance?
2. If the answer is ‘yes’ is it ethical to make a public statement in his own cause? What is his current pension and dearness relief?
3. Even if the answer is in the negative (most unlikely) does he not know that the privilege of handsome pension and dearness allowance is the entitlement of only government servants?
4. Does he not know as a former PM that crores of Indians do not even receive this level of pension and not even Re. 1 as compensation for inflation?
5. Does he not, as an Economist know that inflation affects private employees, poor farmers, unorganised sector employees and self employed street vendors on par with government servants?
6. As an MP for decades and PM did he ever consider the plight of the crores of poor Indians and think of addressing their need to be compensated for inflation on par with the more privileged government pensioners?
7. Is it not logical that their needs are addressed before those of better off Indians?
8. Does he not know the gravity of the present situation that requires every rupee to be directed towards protecting the entire country from the distress caused by Corona?
9. Does he not know that the current freeze is only on DA and is only temporary and the amount will be restored and arrears paid up at the end of the freeze period?
10. Does he not know of similar steps even on earlier occasions when even pay was cut temporarily?
11. Is it not sad that in spite of being a well informed intellectual, he is mouthing the ignorant views of his leader RaGa on this subject as if he is under duress?
12. Is the special mention of Defense personnel by the former PM not an act of calculated mischief to create disaffection amongt the armed forces?
13. Would he not wish to introspect and apologise to his countrymen for his thoughtless remarks?
Will the more sensitive media call the bluff?
The media needs to serve the common man, their real boss by exposing men of dubious intent.